Saturday, August 27, 2016

New Truths

Old truth: "I've lived longer than you, so I know more than you"
 
 
     I was taught to listen to my elders and to never question them. All of the elders around me had an opinion about what I should do with my life, and each opinion differed. I was always so confused about what step to take next. I would ask certain elders for advice (I didn't know then what I know now) and would more than likely regret it. I was always walking around life looking for someone to guide me onto the next path.
 
     As a result, I did a lot of things in my young adult life that I did not particularly want to do (bless my heart). I truly thought that I was doing the right thing, by doing what I was told to do. Boy, was I wrong and boy, was it overwhelming! Since everyone had differing opinions, there was always someone disappointed that I didn't take their word of advice. I might have suffered from depression at that time (it would've been warranted), I'm not completely sure, but I do know that I was unhappy. That was until I did something that I was advised against.
 
     I moved on my own, and I did anything that I wanted to do (I've always been a rebel at heart). I've never been an extremely wild person but I literally did anything that I wanted to do. I was an adult, who was going to stop me?! I had finally reached a point that I had to make my own decisions. I made some great decisions, good decisions, bad decisions and horrible decisions. The great thing is that I actually made those decisions on my own. The opinions still flooded in but I had reached a point that I didn't need someone telling me how to live my life. I had grown confident enough in my own abilities to move through a life that was all my own. This caused for lots of upset people around me but naturally they got over it (maybe they did, I don't really know). I've lost touch with a few of those elders because of my "radical" decision making but guess what... I don't care!!
 
     I know what you're thinking,
"She's a bad motha-"
shut your mouth! I'm not though. I'm just a woman that found her voice and the confidence to own her decisions. I'm so confident, that I don't even have to go all Kanye West on anyone ("You ain't got the answers"). I literally let my life speak on its own. I'm happy with me and happy to see that others in my family are making the same decision to break the mold. It's a beautiful thing!
 
 
"This is my life homie, you decide yours."- Kanye West
 
 
 
Note: This is not to say that I don't believe that elders can be wise. My sentiment is just that, no one can live my life better than I can. No one knows my dreams better than I do. I take what I can from anyone and from everywhere.

8 comments:

  1. with age comes maturity,growth,& power!!! luv ya girley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I love you work. Well written! I look forward to more from you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Look for new posts every Wednesday and Saturday!

      Delete
  3. no one can live my life better than I can. No one knows my dreams better than I do. I take what I can from anyone and from everywhere.......THIS THOUGH!!! ASHLEY!!! PUSH THRU HONEY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad that you enjoy these posts! I'm so overwhelmed with joy!

      Delete
  4. This was EVERYTHING ! Especially for a young woman like myself who in actuality really does look to elders for a sense of guidance ... you gave me my wings with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, how amazing! I'm so glad that you gained something from this. Welcome to the other side girl, it's an amazing feeling!

      Delete