Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Don't Pray For Me

My hope, prayer, dream, wish and will is that no one is praying for me to get back to the Lord, get back to church or get back to anything for that matter.
 
     Listen, I know that my thinking can be a bit unconventional but trust me, I'm good. I know the Lord and we are tight (close. Me and the Lord are close). We talk, laugh, cry. I love the Lord. Now, I may identify with the Lord differently than some but I know Him, love Him and seek Him wholeheartedly.
 
     Now, I have to confess that I don't go to church as frequently as I used to go (unless watching T.D. Jakes on YouTube or live streaming counts). It could be because I don't want to do the leg work (Chicago has tons of churches). It could be because I like sleeping in on Sundays when I can (I used to go to 7pm service at Lakewood, in Houston). It could be that I don't want to hug three of my neighbors (can we just move the service along please?!). It could be a number of things but that doesn't mean that I'm stagnant in my spiritual growth.
 
     And okay, I don't want to go back to anything. I want to continue moving forward. But during this time of collecting my thoughts, I am reminded of who I thought God was and how those thoughts kept me bound.
 
     The God of my childhood gave me the -un's. I was uninterested, unemotional, unmoved and uninvolved. He absolutely confused me with his cult-like, religious rules and left me with too many questions, that neither brochures or booklets could answer. The God of my youth (and young adult life) was just apart of my routine. He left me with few choices in my own life. He dictated how my life should go every step of the way and when I didn't comply He used the big gavel. He judged me and punished me, sternly. Not only did He judge me but so did His saints. So, did I. I judged myself and everyone around me, that couldn't live life perfectly.
 
     It was driving me insane, so I stopped. I stopped going to church, stopped running the rat race and started to release. I became an empty vessel because I released the religion completely. I literally let go and let God. I let God show me His true self. I love all that He's shown Himself to be. Truly patient. Truly kind. He revealed to me that He's a God that loves willingly. He wasn't mad at me. He wanted the best for me. He wanted me to know that I'm allowed. I'm allowed to make choices. I'm allowed to make mistakes because I'm not perfect. I'm allowed to be my individual self. With that allowance, I grew. I grew in my relationship with Him and in myself. I released the old me and embraced the secure, happy, comfortable and complete me. This new growth doesn't allow room for judgement, sorrow or hate.
 
     My hope, prayer, dream, wish and will is that someone is praying for my growth and audacity to keep moving forward. Praying for God to continue revealing Himself to me in new ways, always. Praying for my love to grow for everyone around me.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a very deep testimony and I an definitely relate. Looking forward to reading more of your blogs Queen. I haven't been to church frequently either but I know I am a living church where God resides all the time. Does it make us less gravitated to him because we're not keeping up appearances? Of course not and a passage I read once stated that God doesn't reside in places built by the hands of man. He dwells within us and we talk to him one on one. Keep spreading your message. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and I'm glad to know that someone out there can relate. New posts every Wednesday and Saturday!

      Delete
  2. Amazing testimony Ashley! This is a very vulnerable space and will bless so many people. This helps me see that I dont know everyone's story. Just because you don't go to church doesn't mean your a lost sinner. Also, just because you do go to church doesn't mean your a saved saint. God speaks to us differentlynnica and uses many avenues to reveal himself to us. You help me see "Judge not unless ye be judged". Thank you for sharing your experience with God.I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Wow!!!
    "I am allowed!" YEEEESS!!
    THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING! God is, a God of liberty! A gentleman trusting you to make the best decision for you guiding you to a greater existence!

    Thank you Ashley for being the greater individual and trail blazing your own path guided by the divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I'm so grateful for your support!

      Delete
  4. this is such a barrier breaker!! I feel like there is so much more freedom that I've yet tapped into. ESP after reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freedom comes with the questions. Ask the right questions and the answers will flood in.

      Delete