Wednesday, August 23, 2017

It's Fine Time.

          Two years ago, on a hot August day, a woman on a search for a better her, made the decision to pack up and leave. She was underwhelmed by the monotonous routine that she'd fallen into and was determined to find peace. She knew that if she stayed, that she'd be stuck forever. She knew that she'd only find herself outside of the walls of Houston, Texas. She bought a one-way plane ticket, packed her bags and was on her way. She had no idea of the journey ahead of her. She was certain that even without a plan, Chicago, Illinois would be the place that she'd find who she was looking for. She is I.
          One of the things that helped me was the promise that I made to myself, "Break the fear. Do whatever scares you." I was afraid of a lot. I've flown on planes. I've eaten "gross" food. I've sent the emails, made the calls, said "hello" and said "goodbye". I've welcomed a whole new me that I had only previous dreamed of being.
          I've had the uncomfortable conversations with myself that caused me to push my own boundaries. I've questioned every belief that I've ever had. I've evaluated and re-evaluated, and evaluated again, every single relationship in my life and how it adds value to me. I've lost friends, I've gained family. I've believed the lies and picked up those pieces. I've settled and regained my footing. I've lost hope and gained it back again. I've allowed myself to fully experience being human, in all its ugliness. I've died so that I can live. I've hurt so that I can feel love.
          I'm grateful for everything and everyone that has played a part in my journey. Chicago holds a special place in my heart because Chicago showed me, me. She is I.
Photography: www.tomahoustonphotography.com
Courtesy of Beauty Atlas Magazine http://www.beautyatlasmag.com/magazine/chicago

2 comments: